At Stockport Garrick Theatre we want to get more involved with new writing for the stage and we hope to get to a point where we can give new plays full productions.
Our history is full of supporting new plays - performing plays by Ibsen and George Bernard Shaw when they were new and considered risky on the professional stage. We were also known for performing new plays written by local playwrights at the time. We haven’t done many brand new plays in recent years but we are still known for putting on plays that might be considered unusual choices for an amateur theatre and which explore the world we live in today. These include recent productions of ORPHANS by Dennis Kelly and LOST MONSTERS by Laurence Wilson.
If you’d like to send us your plays we’ll try our hardest to provide support: giving feedback (on a peer-to-peer basis), organising workshops and readings for your play and free space for development. We’ll also invite you to any new writing workshops we’ve organised with professional playwrights or theatre makers and get you involved in our Writers’ Group and our Festival of New Writing.
• Please email your play to Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org
• In your email include your postal address and a contact number.
• In less than 20 words, let us know what the play is fundamentally about for you. This works best if you don’t think of this as a synopsis and get a little creative with it!
• Please do not include a synopsis with your play.
• Do not send us any other information about you or your experience as a playwright so far.
We’ll let you know once we’ve got your play. Please be aware that this is being organised by volunteers. We’ll try our hardest to keep you updated but please allow some time for us to reply. We’re unable to guarantee that plays sent to any other emails or through the post will be considered. We can only accept submissions of new writing for the stage. Please do not send radio, television and film scripts, novels and poetry or adaptations.